Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Generac- cranking error? UPDATE

On Oct 7, 4:39*pm, Tony Miklos wrote:
On 10/7/2011 2:43 PM, Joe J wrote:

Regapped the plugs to .30, instead of factory recommended .40. Pulled
the battery and it is dated 07/08. Would you change it? Info from
previous home owner was in error as far as battery age. So, Generac 17KW
generator, would you replace a 3 year old battery.
With the .30 gap, it started on 2nd try and no over cranking errors.

WI, I don't want to be out there when it's 20 below zero, but 3 years
old, doesn't seem that old, at least not for a car battery. Generac
different?

Not sure what battery types are available in the
size it uses, but if you can find a lead/acid battery
that comes without acid, a solution might be to
buy a battery and have it available in case you
need it. If you don't put the acid in until you
put it in service, it should have an indefinite
shelf life. And with the acid in it will have enough
energy to crank the generator.

If regapping the plugs to a smaller setting helped it start, I'd be
looking for the cause of a weak spark.

That's a very good point. If it won't start with the
factory gap, I think you're right. And that should
be checked out, because it may be on it's way
to total failure.