Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Oversized generator

On Fri, 07 Oct 2011 08:09:37 -0400, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

Sam Takoy wrote:

Hi,

If I buy a generator that's too big for average use for my house - for
example, I really need a 3500 but get a 7000 instead - and most of the
time don't draw more than 3500, will I be wasting have the gas or are
the generators smart enough these days to burn only as much gas as
needed?

It depends on your generator. Mine is a 5500 watt & does not change
a whit when it is running with no load, or a full load.

My neighbor, who works on Honda's, says Honda's have the best 'speed
regulating' setup.

But, as others have pointed out;
1. you won't cut consumption in 1/2.
2. too big is generally better than too small.

I've never heard anyone complain about their generator being too big.
It is not a very efficient beast to begin with. It is for comfort--
more comfort is good.

Jim

Engine speed on a non-inverter generator will always stay steady
(ideally anyways) but at low load the RPM requires significantly less
throttle - and less gas. 50% load will genereally require about 60%
fuel.