Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.cad
mike mike is offline

Default Remote Access?

Jim Thompson wrote:
Are any of you using remote access to your home or work computer?

I'd like to access my office PC while I'm out of town.

Issues:

Cox using dynamic IP addressing

I have 5 PC's behind a Barricade Router

Recommendations?

Thanks!

...Jim Thompson

Run tightvncserver on each machine.
Use different port numbers.
Set your router to forward the ports to the correct machines.
Go to dyndns.org and sign up for the equivalent of a fixed ip address.
Tunnel thru SSH if you're paranoid.
Don't run vncserver when you're not gonna be needing it.

As with any means of putting your machine out on the web,
if there's anything...ANYTHING...that you wouldn't want
to show up on the front page of your local newspaper,
ENCRYPT IT. Treat it like everything on your system is shared
to everyone...because it is.

VNC is cross platform. VNC viewer runs on just about anything with
a processor. Sometimes handy to be able to run it from a PDA.
If you enable the HTTP servers, you can access it from a web browser.
Does file transfer.
I wish it did sound.

Dyndns finds your IP address. Apart from that, there's no server
to go through for anything. I like that a lot.

Check it from outside your network before you leave town.
For example...with the default setting of the zonealarm firewall,
it pops up and asks you to confirm access, but won't let you click
"allow" remotely.

There are a bunch of other issues.
If I'm watching a movie and someone vnc's into my machine, the movie
blanks.
There are control key issues. VNC viewer intercepts some control keys
for its own use. Those don't get seen by the remote application.
There are cumbersome workarounds for some key combinations.
Stuff like editing a circuit board layout may be difficult.

If there's a lot of stuff going on on the screen, VNC has to send
all those changes. You upload speed matters. VNC has a special
display driver that can help with this problem.