Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete S Pete S is offline

Default Vibration at Part-off

First, I hope you mean ccw from the outboard end of the spindle. If
otherwise, you are going the wrong way.
Do you use a lantern tool post? I gave up on mine many years ago. Not
rigid enough. Do you know that the chips are wider than the cut if they
heat up at all? That's why one uses a lot of coolant. Is your tool set
just on or just below the center line so if it grabs, it pulls away from the
cut?
Do you tighten all gibs? Have you tried different speeds to see if the
vibration rate changes or disappears? How far is the work sticking out of
the lathe chuck? I always try to have the cut real close to the chuck.
I have a 10 inch manual Atlas lathe, so it is pretty light, but I cut-off
successfully on a regular basis, but not usually on a production basis.

Pete Stanaitis