Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default Oversized generator

jamesgangnc wrote:
On Oct 7, 11:48 am, Tony wrote:
Jim Elbrecht wrote:
Sam wrote:

Hi,

If I buy a generator that's too big for average use for my house - for
example, I really need a 3500 but get a 7000 instead - and most of the
time don't draw more than 3500, will I be wasting have the gas or are
the generators smart enough these days to burn only as much gas as
needed?

It depends on your generator. Mine is a 5500 watt& does not change
a whit when it is running with no load, or a full load.

My neighbor, who works on Honda's, says Honda's have the best 'speed
regulating' setup.

Hi,
I live up North here in Alberta. Honda is most popular in the arctic
circle. Honda units start best in cold weather.- Hide quoted text -

Honda makes some nice generators. But they are not cheap. And up
there you may use them more justifying the price. For the typical USA
resident that just wants one as an emergency power source it's
possible to use a cheaper generator. Unless losing pwoer is a very
common occurence. For me it probably averages out to 10 hours a year
with a pretty big standard deviation.

Hi,
Whoa! what is going on down there? I moved here from East in the spring
of 1970. Since total time for power outage was less than 1 hours,
longest being 24 minutes when pole burned up by grass fire near my home.
They had to cut the power to replace the pole.