Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Oversized generator

On Oct 7, 10:39*am, Tony Miklos wrote:
On 10/7/2011 9:58 AM, wrote:

On Oct 6, 7:54 pm, Sam *wrote:
If I buy a generator that's too big for average use for my house - for
example, I really need a 3500 but get a 7000 instead - and most of the
time don't draw more than 3500, will I be wasting have the gas or are
the generators smart enough these days to burn only as much gas as
needed?

No, you'll just burn down your house because the generator will be
pumping 7000 Watts into the house and the house will only use 3500.
The other 3500 Watts will build up as heat and eventually burst into
flame.

Gawd I hope you aren't serious?

I think his point is that based on physics, if the gas input
did not vary based on load, there would be a hell of a
lot of energy that would have to go somewhere when
a 7000 watt generator is only putting out 3500 watts
as electricity.