Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank Frank is offline

Default Selling home on land contract

On Oct 7, 9:14*am, "Ron" wrote:
Frank wrote:
On 10/6/2011 7:48 PM, wrote:
Sorry this is a bit off topic, however lots of repairs were done to
this home before selling.......

Anyhow,
I have a relative who is going to sell a home on a land contract. The
price and terms have been discussed with the buyer. *Now the
paperwork needs to be filled out and legalized. *Who who do they go
to to do this legal paperwork? *I assume it's either a realtor or
lawyer. *But which is the preferred method? *If it's a lawyer, I
know lawyers specialize in different matters, what would be the type
of lawyer needed? *(definition). *Also, the home to be sold and home
of the seller are in two different states. *Am I correct to assume
the transaction has to be done in the same state and county of the
home to be sold?

State real estate laws vary. *Sometimes you need a lawyer and some
times not. *You could enlist a realtor that knows these laws and have
him draw up the contract and have it executed. *They might do this
for say 1% of the sales price.

Please do yourself a favor and do not have a Realtor or real estate broker
draw up the contract or paperwork. *They are not attorneys. *They serve a
very good function in selling properties, matching up buyers and sellers,
helping to negotiate a deal between buyers and sellers etc. *But they are
not your lawyer and, since you already have a buyer and already have at
least an initial understanding between the buyer and seller about the terms
of the sale, you do not need a Realtor. *You need an experienced real estate
attorney.

Lawyers usually have set fees, not dependent on property price.
You should get a lawyer that specializes in real estate and realtor or
any lawyer could tell you who they are.

I agree.- Hide quoted text -

I'm pointing out that licensed realtors know the state requirements
and it is one route that can be taken.
Having had experience here in Delaware, I'd go right for the lawyer
but in some states you can probably get by without either. Depends
how much work you want to do yourself. I know somebody here filing
for divorce without a lawyer.