Posted to sci.electronics.repair
chuck chuck is offline

Default Panasonic VCR AG1980 FO4

On Thu, 6 Oct 2011 12:05:07 -0700 (PDT), klem kedidelhopper
wrote:

On Oct 5, 9:30*am, chuck wrote:
On Tue, 4 Oct 2011 13:17:53 -0700 (PDT), klem kedidelhopper

wrote:
This unit has a tape stuck inside. It will power up and then after
about 2 seconds shuts down and displays FO4. Does anyone know what
this code means and what is the fix for it? Thanks, Lenny

Lenny,

There is a worm gear that drives the tape mechanism which cracks.
Replacing it with the modified part, cleaning the mode switch, and
replacing the pinch roller elevator grease should fix it. *Chuck

I have heard that the load mechanism has to be re timed after you do
this. Do you know what the procedure is for that? Thanks, Lenny

Lenny,

I hope you don't have to retime the mechanism because it is a real
pain. The manual with detailed timing instructions is the "K"
mechanism manual. There are no timing instructions in the AG1980
service manual. Since we are both members of the Yahoo tv repair
group, you might see if someone there has the manual as a pdf. I
have the paper manual at work but I can't take it home and scan it for
you because of university policies. Chuck