Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
Dave M[_3_] Dave M[_3_] is offline

Default Relay Bounce

Shaun wrote:
"Jim Thompson" wrote in message

As one who's never used a relay before in anything critical I come up
with a dumb question...

Do relays "bounce" when they are OPENING enough to re-contact?

...Jim Thompson
James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus |
Phoenix, Arizona 85048 Skype: Contacts Only | |
Voice480)460-2350 Fax: Available upon request | Brass Rat |
E-mail Icon at http://www.analog-innovations.com | 1962 |

Relays bounce when you close a contact. If you have a situation
where this will cause a problem, put a capacitor across the contacts
or buy a mercury wetted relay for really sensitive situations.

Shaun

I don't think they bounce when opening, but for sure, the arc is there,
especially with reactive loads.

--
David
dgminala at mediacombb dot net