Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,alt.electronics,sci.electronics.misc,sci.electronics.repair

Default Recycling electronic waste.

In sci.electronics.repair N_Cook wrote:
Ian Field wrote in message

"N_Cook" wrote in message
Ian Field wrote in message
Taking your e-waste to the council tip doesn't allways mean it will be
recycled in a lawful manner!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...rack_My_Trash/

Most UK council tips are actually contracted out and the contractor has
sell anything anyone will buy to pay for disposal of the WEEE waste and
the
home & garden waste in the compacter skips.

Budgets are unsurprisingly rather tight and WEEE disposal invariably

ends
up
with the lowest bidder - who most likely exports it to W. Africa.

There is a way you can at least delay your unwanted items entry into

the
scrap system; you can get rid of almost anything on freegle or

freecycle,
although its good form to indicate if an item is not working such as
needs
att'n or spares or repair.

If you want to sell the item there's allways Swapshop.

I watched that and yet again they failed to mention how this scrap is
reprocessed.

No they didn't - they showed an example legitimate recycling firm that
shreds everything and sends the fragments down a conveyor belt for casual
labourers to pick bits out.

How do we know it is legitimate if the next stage in the process is not
divulged. Where did the CRT lead-loaded glass go to from there , where did
the bits of circuit board go to ?
Were TO3 devices or whatever has specifically dangerous contents , shredded
or removed prior to shredding?

I'd love to hear about the "dangerous" stuff in a TO3 can.