Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Franc Zabkar Franc Zabkar is offline

Default Aiwa P30 Power Amplifier Fault

On Thu, 6 Oct 2011 21:23:10 +0000, M.Joshi
put finger to keyboard and composed:

The shorted component is definately a zener as the PCB symbol indicates
(a diode symbol with two opposite diagonal tails). The zener measures
short in circuit and out of circuit too. I cannot seem to find any data
on it (W162). Do Japanese manufacturers use W to denote something?

Is there an electrolyic capacitor in parallel with the diode? If so,
then its voltage rating will put an upper limit to the rating of the
diode.

Are there any similarly marked zeners elsewhere on the PCB? If so,
then measure their voltages in-circuit and compare them against their
marking codes.

- Franc Zabkar