Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default Countersunk nuts? (like a countersunk screw, but a nut)

Hex standoffs already have threaded center holes, available in steel, brass
and nylon/plastics, in the sizes he mentioned later.

--
WB

"JR North" wrote in message
Do you want the nut to be flush with the surface, or just to center in
the hole? What thread size? You could get steel hex stock, cut to
length, drill/tap the center, and turn the taper end of each nut on
the lathe. Cheap that way.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

On Thu, 06 Oct 2011 17:28:05 -0500, DougC
wrote:

Is there such a thing? The usual places show nothing of the kind.

Countersunk-head screws fit flush with the surface of course, but
another aspect of them is that they stay centered in the holes. Is there
a nut with a conical contact area to fit similarly?

I know a lot of nuts have one or both sides sort of a rounded-off, but
the contact area is not nearly the entire possible.... and I know I
could trim some regular high nuts or coupling nuts off if I only needed
a few, but that would be impractical when I needed 50-100-200 or more.
Even less so when I needed smaller sizes--#8, #10....

In a perfect world there would exist 'countersunk' nylon-washer-style
locking nuts.... as long as they're not a mil-spec item where a 1/4-20#
costs a dollar each....

HOME PAGE:
http://www.seanet.com/~jasonrnorth