Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
PeterD PeterD is offline

Default Best Epoxy for...

On 4/25/2011 11:51 AM, Jim Thompson wrote:
On Mon, 25 Apr 2011 07:16:17 -0400, wrote:

On 4/24/2011 8:19 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
Best Epoxy for...

I have an aluminum decorative casting, too thin to tap, that I need to
glue a mounting bolt to.

I have adequate room behind the casting to build up a nice fillet
around the bolt head.

What would you recommend?

Thanks!

...Jim Thompson

There are products designed for just that purpose, consisting of an
aluminum powder combined with an epoxy. I used to use this to fix
extrusions (heat sinks) that had scratches and gouges. It looks like
aluminum, is machinable like aluminum, and holds well to the base metal.

If you need, I can see if I can find a maker/part number for you, I may
have some left on the shelf, but I'm not sure.

Sounds like what I need. Manufacturer/part number info would be much
appreciated!

...Jim Thompson

Devcon Alumimum Putty (F)
10610

Here's a link:

http://www.devcon.com/products/produ...ty% 20%28F%29

I've used it several times to repair parts (mostly to fill in damage),
have not machined it a lot but what I did do worked well.

--
I'm never going to grow up.