Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
Oppie[_5_] Oppie[_5_] is offline

Default Best Epoxy for...

"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
On Mon, 25 Apr 2011 07:16:17 -0400, PeterD wrote:

On 4/24/2011 8:19 PM, Jim Thompson wrote:
Best Epoxy for...

I have an aluminum decorative casting, too thin to tap, that I need to
glue a mounting bolt to.

I have adequate room behind the casting to build up a nice fillet
around the bolt head.

What would you recommend?

Thanks!

...Jim Thompson

There are products designed for just that purpose, consisting of an
aluminum powder combined with an epoxy. I used to use this to fix
extrusions (heat sinks) that had scratches and gouges. It looks like
aluminum, is machinable like aluminum, and holds well to the base metal.

If you need, I can see if I can find a maker/part number for you, I may
have some left on the shelf, but I'm not sure.

Sounds like what I need. Manufacturer/part number info would be much
appreciated!

...Jim Thompson

Just don't try to have it anodized...
Over the years, we've had a few subcontractors that made an 'Oops' when
fabricating aluminum parts. Mostly the fault is holes drilled in the wrong
spots. Contractor filled them in either with either a weld or some filler
and milled them flat again. Barely noticeable if at all on incoming
inspection but when they were anodized, very noticeable. Acid etch attacked
the filler material much more readily and the result was unacceptable.