Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
Jim Thompson[_3_] Jim Thompson[_3_] is offline

Default Abusing a 555.

On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 19:40:52 -0500, flipper wrote:

On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 16:32:31 -0700, Rich Grise
wrote:

[snip]

AFAIK, bipolars have never worried about ESD, probably because the
most voltage they'll develop is a diode drop or a breakdown voltage
of a handful of volts; I wouldn't expect the breakdown to do much
damage because after all, how many joules are there in a typical
static discharge?

That's my general understanding as well but, as the saying goes, you
never know and I thought Jim might have knowledge of some 'unique'
characteristic of the NE555.

[snip]

The NE555 may predate concerns with ESD, but the CMOS versions
certainly have a diode from _any_ pin to VCC.

My comments had more to do with breakdown in the bipolar version... I
observed that the impedance levels in the base circuit of the
discharge device were not conducive to expecting any more than the max
VCC rating.

But Ian didn't appreciate my blowing a hole is his asininity. Which
is, of course, delightful... he'll never be a designer :-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, CTO | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |