Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joseph Gwinn Joseph Gwinn is offline

Default Vibration at Part-off

In article
,
Rosie wrote:

My CNC Cincinnati Hawk 150 started to make a big noise/vibration while
Part-off. I make the machine turn counterclockwise with the tool
upside down. Somebody told me the problem could be (this is only a
possibility) the ways are worn because it's not a normal/good practice
to use the CNC that way for Part-off.

What do you think about ?
Has somebody had this problem?
What do you suggest, changing the ways is a very expensive test to do,
I have a small machine shop and I need this machine for my biggest
customer.

How much does the Hawk 150 weigh?

What material are you cutting, how big is it, and how fast are you
turning? And what kind of cutoff tool are you using?

I do cutoff with Clausing 5914 late in reverse with upsidedown SGIH
blades, and it works just fine. Running in reverse prevents
self-feeding of the parting tool into the cut, and keeps the chips from
staying in the cut. But it needs a real coolant flood to get fluid to
the bottom of the cut.

But before I could part off without bone-jarring chatter, I had to
tighten just about everything. It was quite the saga.

Joe Gwinn