Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott Tim Wescott is offline

Default Vibration at Part-off

On Thu, 06 Oct 2011 12:52:28 -0500, Karl Townsend wrote:

On Thu, 6 Oct 2011 07:21:37 -0700 (PDT), Rosie
wrote:

My CNC Cincinnati Hawk 150 started to make a big noise/vibration while
Part-off. I make the machine turn counterclockwise with the tool upside
down. Somebody told me the problem could be (this is only a possibility)
the ways are worn because it's not a normal/good practice to use the CNC
that way for Part-off.

What do you think about ?
Has somebody had this problem?
What do you suggest, changing the ways is a very expensive test to do, I
have a small machine shop and I need this machine for my biggest
customer.

Thanks very much

The chips clear really nice running CCW upside down IF your machine is
rigid enough.

Mine wasn't, I have to run CW right side up.

I've also seen materials where you have to INCREASE the feed to power
through the chatter point. its a kind of resonance thing.

Just a couple ideas. look at Tim's post too.

On my lathe when I increase the feed to power through the chatter point,
things flex enough that my parting-off tool binds and breaks.

Granted, at that point things aren't chattering. But it's not an
improvement :-).

--
www.wescottdesign.com