Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott Tim Wescott is offline

Default Made in the USA

On Wed, 05 Oct 2011 22:55:04 -0700, Carla Fong wrote:

I am not the author, I am passing this along without verifying the
cites, so it may be bogus... But i did get it in an email so it must
have come from the Internet so it must be true...

Carla

ONE AT A TIME
A physics teacher in high school once told the students that while one
grasshopper on the railroad tracks wouldn't slow a train very much, but
a billion of them would. With that thought in mind, read the following
written by a citizen who's concerned about America's jobs:

***** SNIP ******

If you accept the challenge, pass this on to others in your address
book so we can all start buying American, one light bulb at a time! Stop
buying from overseas companies! (We should have awakened a decade
ago....) Let's get with the program and help our fellow Americans keep
their jobs and create more jobs here in the USA .

Man, I hate these political posts that just Must be Responded To.

At any rate: I've been seeing this stuff, and I greet it with mixed hope
and cynicism.

The first hope is that yes, the tide has turned and blue collar jobs are
coming back to the US. I don't see a future for us where we're all
prostitutes -- uh, I mean service workers. It takes all kinds, and some
of us are the kind that exclusively work with our hands and make stuff.

The second hope is that the trend in China will continue and will spread
to other east Asian countries: that now that the Chinese people are
getting the material wealth they want, that they're going to continue
demanding the civil liberties and freedoms that they've been consistently
denied. China needs to be flooded with little plush "People's Army" tank
dolls, complete with little plush "squished people" dolls sewn on to
their bottoms.

The cynicism is that there are factories in China who, as a final build
step, slap stickers on their products that say "Made in the USA". Even
if there isn't any just plain lying going on, I'll bet that the minimum
requirement for being able to pass legal muster with a "Made in the USA"
sticker still leaves the majority of the profit off shore.

So I'll believe it when I see the results of the audit that shows just
how much of the money spent actually stays on shore, and how much of it
continues to bleed off to China.

Ultimately, in a free market the tide will turn -- I'm just not sure when
that will be, really.

--
www.wescottdesign.com