Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Electrical switch question

On Wed, 5 Oct 2011 11:02:16 -0700 (PDT), millinghill
wrote:

Why would you want to have to turn off the breaker? *Isn't there
anything else on that circuit? *Using a breaker as a switch is a bad
idea, and running an inexpensive fan constantly is also a bad idea.

What's your issue with a lighted (or not) duplex switch?

Exisitng condition is that I can turn fan off with wall switch.
Reality is that it is only running when it is too hot (thermostat) in
the attic.

I keep my roof fan off in the spring and the fall, when it's warm
during the day but would otherwise require heat at night (or
tomorrow), so that the attic heats up and it heats my home. It means
I don't have to use the furnace for a couple weeks times two, four
weeks a year.

I would only operate this switch to turn the fan OFF if I need to
service the fan or for some emergency.
I would *never* use a breaker on a regular (or even irregular) basis
as a switch.
I think the duplex switch idea is great and will work fine.
I'm only asking about the three-way switch idea because I have a box
of new ones sitting in the garage right now.