Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Paul Drahn Paul Drahn is offline

Default Pushing the Limits of a Morse Taper Shank...

On 10/5/2011 4:37 AM, Joe AutoDrill wrote:
Joe, are you asking how much torque a Morse taper drill without a tang can
take without turning? So much depends on the condition of the mating
surfaces. That is why the drills have a tang and the drill presses have a
slot for the tang.

You are asking a question that has to be answered with "that depends"!

Maybe someone else will have a more helpful answer.

I rushed through the original post... I should have provided more details.

The MT2 mating surface is not my worry at all as the MT2 driver we choose
can have a tang or a draw bar set-up. So the mate will be tight and on
brand new ground surfaces. It should't slip under any circumstances
there...

The MT2 does go to a 3/8-16 thread though and that thread is hardened and
inserted into the back of another device. I'm worrying about the transition
from the large diameter of the MT2 taper to teh 3/8-16 male thread. I think
that the customer might be asking too much of it.

Oh, ok.

My Emco Emcomat lathe has the mill/drill attachment and it uses MT2
collets with 3/8-16 threads. There is an adapter that screws into the
collet that mates with a smaller metric drawbar. I am sure the adapter
is not anything special.

I have never had any problem with either the adapter, collet or drawbar.
I think the largest collet is 1/2 inch and I have used lots of 1/2"
endmills. But recall using any very large drills with the unit. Use
larger drill press for that.

The lathe tailstock also uses MT2 and I have used Mt2 drills up to 1"
there, but they will spin unless I use a vicegrip or something similar
to keep them from turning and releasing.

My thought is you will not have a problem.

Paul