Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe AutoDrill[_2_] Joe AutoDrill[_2_] is offline

Default Pushing the Limits of a Morse Taper Shank...

Joe, are you asking how much torque a Morse taper drill without a tang can
take without turning? So much depends on the condition of the mating
surfaces. That is why the drills have a tang and the drill presses have a
slot for the tang.

You are asking a question that has to be answered with "that depends"!

Maybe someone else will have a more helpful answer.

I rushed through the original post... I should have provided more details.

The MT2 mating surface is not my worry at all as the MT2 driver we choose
can have a tang or a draw bar set-up. So the mate will be tight and on
brand new ground surfaces. It should't slip under any circumstances
there...

The MT2 does go to a 3/8-16 thread though and that thread is hardened and
inserted into the back of another device. I'm worrying about the transition
from the large diameter of the MT2 taper to teh 3/8-16 male thread. I think
that the customer might be asking too much of it.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013-R