Posted to rec.woodworking
Vic Baron Vic Baron is offline

Default Turning tool question

"Gerald Ross" wrote in message
Vic Baron wrote:
Last time I tried to use a lathe was over 40 years ago. Decided to get
back
into it so I bought a little mini lathe from Rockler . I still had the
tools
from years ago.

My puzzlement - as a woodworker I use the scary sharp method to keep my
wood
chisels razor sharp. Reading various articles on lathe tool sharpening,
get the impression that you just do a coarse grind and have at the wood.
So
no honing or stropping etc? My grinder stone is 150 grit - now for a wood
chisel this would be awful.

What am I missing here?

Vic

It depends. If you are turning some types of wood--pecan bowls, for
instance--the edge will be dull in less than 10 minutes. So why spend 10
minutes scary sharpening, honing, stropping, polishing and checking nose
hairs when it will make no difference 8 minutes later? If you enjoy
sharpening, that's fine. If you'd rather make shavings give it a shot on
a wheel or belt sander and back to the lathe.

There are always exceptions. Finish turning or turning tiny objects, may
require a nicer edge.

OK, now that makes sense also. So it really boils down to an individual
thing depending on what is being turned, wood type etc.

I can live with that - learn and adjust as I go. Right now I'm just
practicing on some oak and redwood cutoffs I had lying around. Seemed like
the softer wood liked it sharper than the oak.

Thanx!

Vic