Posted to uk.d-i-y
TheScullster TheScullster is offline

Default The Wrong Type of Light Fitting?

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 04/10/2011 15:00, TheScullster wrote:
Hi all

Have I made a mistake in my choice of light fitting?

I wanted near instant fairly bright light for the hallway, so bought a
fitting with 4 halogen spots.
It has the usual 1/2in deep circular termination cover tight to the
ceiling,
then a shaped rod along which the spots are mounted.
This thing goes through bulbs about one every 6 months.

Are halogens susceptible to vibration (i.e. foot fall on the landing
above)?

The mains ones, yes very much so. Having said that, choice of bulbs can
make a big difference - finding a supplier of quality bulbs that looks
after them prior to delivery also helps.

If so what type/style of fitting would be more appropriate in this
application?

If you are using halogen, then low voltage are preferable in just about
every way. The bulbs last much longer, the light is better, and they are
far less vulnerable to vibration:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...a ins_Halogen

Spots can give limited area coverage, but that is probably not a problem
in a hallway.

--
Cheers,

John.

Thanks guys

I *think* I bought the fitting from Hull Lighting.
They have a good range and tend to actually know something about light
fittings, regs, low energy stuff etc.
The replacement bulbs have been B&Q sourced from memory, so maybe I need to
be more selective on sourcing spares!

Phil