Posted to rec.woodworking
Vic Baron Vic Baron is offline

Default Turning tool question

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Mon, 3 Oct 2011 19:33:49 -0700, "Vic Baron"
wrote:

Last time I tried to use a lathe was over 40 years ago. Decided to get
back
into it so I bought a little mini lathe from Rockler . I still had the
tools
from years ago.

My puzzlement - as a woodworker I use the scary sharp method to keep my
wood
chisels razor sharp. Reading various articles on lathe tool sharpening, I
get the impression that you just do a coarse grind and have at the wood.
So
no honing or stropping etc? My grinder stone is 150 grit - now for a wood
chisel this would be awful.

Not if you're only roughcutting to shape, then finishing up with
really sharp tools. Some people think sandpaper is the only way to a
nice finish on a turned piece. shrug sigh

What am I missing here?

The fact that those authors you cite know nothing about writing,
carving/cutting wood, or sharpening tools. Keep Scaryin', Vic.

P.S: Either that or the authors don't mention that they use a much
finer wheel on their grinders.

OK, that makes more sense! I figure if you're cutting something, you will
always get a better result if your tools are sharp. Even a scraper is sharp,
in a way.