Posted to alt.home.repair
Kurt Ullman Kurt Ullman is offline

Default OT - As promised, Debit card fees

In article ,
SMS wrote:

On 10/3/2011 12:29 PM, Steve B wrote:

I do not have a debit card, well, there is an option of debit or credit on
my cards, but I never use it. I am old fashioned. I pay cash, check, money
order, cashier's check, wire transfer, or put it on the credit card for air
miles.

I rarely use a debit card because a credit card offers consumer
protections and rewards not available on a debit card. But it's not
accurate to claim that "Joe Average" is spending when the money's gone
when he's using a debit card because if the money's gone then the debit
won't be approved.

I don't know if Dodd-Frank changed that, but before that wasn't
necessarily the case. One of the Great Scams was letting the debit go
through and then watch multiple checks go bouncing around the
countryside. And collecting fees on every one. That may still be a
problem since Regions' local commercial specifically states they give
you 24 hours to cover overages.