Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 3 phase electrical receptacle on fire, explosions

On Mon, 03 Oct 2011 11:44:48 -0500, Ignoramus19762

On 2011-10-03, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sun, 02 Oct 2011 23:41:21 -0500, Ignoramus23561

On 2011-10-03, Steve W. wrote:
Ignoramus23561 wrote:
I had a little bit of a new experience today.

My new place has cables dropped from the ceiling, with receptacles
hanging somewhat above my height.

I was moving a crane and bumped into one of them, nothing big, just a
minor bump. Then I saw that the receptacle was on fire (or rather,
flames were coming out from inside), with small explosions inside.

I ran to the electrical control panel and turned off electricity to
the whole building. The fire stopped.

After a short while, I opened up the receptacle. It turned out that it
was full of grinding dust (! -- how did it get inside) -- and,
apparently, the dust shifted and shorted the contacts. It was a short
circuit, but with a lot of resistance from the dust, so it caught
fire, but did not trip a breaker.

I cut it off and taped the individual wires, but I am now thinking
that I need to take all of those things apart and blow them out with
compressed air.

Comments?

Well I would probably commit overkill myself and grab a manlift and a
pressure washer and give all the open utilities a good bath. Wash down
the pipes/conduits and let the place dry out. While it's drying I would
check EVERY outlet and switch in the place for wear/damage/proper
installation. Then paint the walls with some good white paint. Dryloc
wouldn't be a bad thing to keep moisture out.

I am afraid that this washing down of dusty electrical outlets may
create more problems.

Then I would probably set up an area where you can inspect/test incoming
gear. Another where you can strip stuff for parts (and dispose of the
common/worthless pieces) Another area for crating/palletizing and shipping.
Barcode software and inventory tracking is not expensive these days.

This is the hope, indeed.

Washing them down? Turn off the power, open the covers and simply blow
them out with a good deal of compressed air, then reclose.

Washing them down?? Get grinding dust wet? Oh you are far far braver
than I am. Id never intentionally create concrete in electrical outlets.

Let us know how that works out, will ya?

I will. I was not going to wash them down.

But..but you said you were going to wash them down..check up about 20 or
so lines.

VBG

Gunner

"In the history of mankind, there have always been men and women who's goal
in life is to take down nations. We have just elected such a man to run our
country." - David Lloyyd (2008)