Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 3 phase electrical receptacle on fire, explosions

On 3 Oct 2011 04:42:06 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2011-10-02, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sun, 02 Oct 2011 16:08:33 -0400, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

In article ,
Ignoramus23561 wrote:

I had a little bit of a new experience today.

My new place has cables dropped from the ceiling, with receptacles
hanging somewhat above my height.

I was moving a crane and bumped into one of them, nothing big, just a
minor bump. Then I saw that the receptacle was on fire (or rather,
flames were coming out from inside), with small explosions inside.

[ ... ]

After a short while, I opened up the receptacle. It turned out that it
was full of grinding dust (! -- how did it get inside) -- and,
apparently, the dust shifted and shorted the contacts. It was a short
circuit, but with a lot of resistance from the dust, so it caught
fire, but did not trip a breaker.

[ ... ]

Sounds like a plan. And, replace any worn outlets.

[ ... ]

Before disassembly, use a voltmeter to ensure that each and every pole
is unpowered.

You may discover a breaker that also needs to be replaced.

[ ... ]

Good statements all.

For Iggys application..he can buy 10 packs of 110vt outlets for less
than $6 at HomeDespot.

I don't think that he actually stated that these were 110 VAC
outlets. They may have been 240 VAC single phase or 240VAC three phase.

And hanging outlets are likely to use twist-lock connectors to
keep the cord's weight form unplugging the equipment. I don't think
that you can get 10-packs of twist-lock outlets for that little -- even
in 110 VAC size.

Enjoy,
DoN.

True indeed. I hadnt read it in that light. Not at all.

Good reality check and thanks!

Gunner

"In the history of mankind, there have always been men and women who's goal
in life is to take down nations. We have just elected such a man to run our
country." - David Lloyyd (2008)