Larry Jaques

Default First career, last career

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 02:42:45 GMT, Howard brought
forth from the murky depths:

Larry Jaques wrote:

Got any tips for me to make it more comfortable to play?
My shoulder doesn't like it much.)

Check your local music store for shoulder rests. There are lots of
different types, and I have used several. The one I use now is not
available any more, and I may eventually make a copy of it myself.

Shoulder rests sell from $3 to about $15. Many violin teachers look
down their noses at them, which I think is dumb -- you should get
whatever works for you.

Thanks. I'll look into it. It is primarily my rotator cuff which
gives me the problem, but I saw a picture of some street musicians
on the link http://home.att.net/~PeteSchug/ that YoungCarpenter
posted. I've been holding my elbow up to get a better grip on the
neck. I'll try repositioning.

-snip-
explained that music was to be enjoyed, and if you didn't enjoy it,
there wasn't any point in studying it.

They did pretty good...

Yes, enjoyment is the ONLY reason to play. Speaking of which,
is there any way I can muffle the sound from the voilin as I
learn how to play it? (I didn't refer to "swinging a cat" for
no reason, y'see.) Spray foam is much too permanent and would
prolly burst the instrument.

Y'know... maybe I ought to do some more teaching before I go
completely deaf...

Go for it!

..-.
Life is short. Eat dessert first!