Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Patio repair

On 10/1/2011 9:04 PM, HeyBub wrote:
Jim Elbrecht wrote:
wrote:

-snip-

* Just two days ago, I scored a Craigslist concrete mixer for $90.
It's a IMER Minuteman. BIG sumbitch. Handles 5 cu ft at one gulp and
retails for about $650. Any ideas on how I can remove the concrete
droplets and blobs sticking to its various external legs and such?
I'm thinking wire wheel in an angle grinder.

1. Why bother removing "droplets and blobs"? If you have enough to
make it very heavy, or if some of the blobs are interfering with the
function of something you need to remove-- otherwise they are like
dust in your driveway.
2. a wire wheel probably won't help at all.
3. Hit them with a hammer if you really need to remove them.

It matters a lot more if it is gumming up the inside of the barrel.
For that a couple shovels of #2 stone and a few gallons of water---
run someplace out of earshot until it is all shiny.

Excellent idea regarding the rocks and water. Maybe I'll add some Muriatic
acid to the mix.

Regarding the dribbles of concrete, I want to clean it up and paint it (some
paint is already peeling with a patina of rust underneath). After my modest
couple of jobs, driveway repair mostly, I hope to sell it for more than
twice what I paid for it. Remember, the model is ~$600 new and I paid $90.

Know anybody with even a cheap-ass sandblaster you can borrow? Even
using dry play sand rather than expensive media, it should knock it
smooth with little problem, once you get the hang of the attack angle. I
stripped paint and heavy rust off the bottom of an old clawfoot tub that
way, that a farmer had been using outside as a stock tank for 20+ years.
My sister painted it green on the non-porcelain parts, and installed it
in the upstairs living room of the A-frame she was living in at the
time. (Too bad she left it behind when she traded in the husband...)

--
aem sends...