Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John Keiser John Keiser is offline

Default Vtech 6053 cordless phone

Ah! Yes, they are likely JTAG ports. Beyond my ability to tinker with.
Solder joints "looked" ok when I opened the base but there is a flex cable
connector I may explore in the interest of good fun.
Thanks.

"Jeff Liebermann" wrote in message
On Sat, 1 Oct 2011 14:49:45 -1000, "John Keiser"
wrote:

"0" messages appear.
I had tried the grand reset to no avail. Was hoping for an even grander
reset.
Phones function well enough.

Oh well. So much for the easy fixes.

Mostly curious about the service "port" as I my old stand alone answering
machine is working compatibly at the moment.

My guess(tm) is that it's a JTAG port used to load firmware and
initialized (serialize) the phone. I did some Googling but didn't
find anything specific for Vtech DECT phones. If you succeed in
finding or building an RS-232 converter for interfacing to the port,
you'll probably find a rather primitive command set, no help, no
menus, and cryptic commands and incantations. It will also lack any
easy way to recover from mistakes. Y're welcome to try it, but
methinks it's not worth the effort. However, you might want to open
the base and inspect the base for crappy soldering.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D