Posted to alt.home.repair
SMS SMS is offline

Default OT - As promised, Debit card fees

On 10/1/2011 8:25 AM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sat, 1 Oct 2011 08:02:00 +0200, "Ed wrote:

wrote

Personally I'm amazed that anyone uses debit cards since credit cards
offer consumer protections not available on debit cards,

Personally, I'm amazed that people don't know many debit cards offer the
same protection as credit cards.

Not quite the same. CCs are protected by law. Some/most DCs are protected by
contract. After a loss, CC: the CC company's money is on the line, DC: your
money is in the ether (which can cause all sorts of other issues).

Well stated.

The credit card protections are mandated by law, any debit card
protections are up to the bank and their is little recourse for the
consumer. And of course the really big issue is that even if the debit
card issuer eventually credits your account in the event of a dispute,
they have your money in the meantime.

I've never seen anyone come up with a coherent reason why they would use
a debit card when they can use a credit card, other than that they
wanted some cash back.