Posted to uk.d-i-y
PeterC PeterC is offline

Default A bit OT - calibrating a bike odometer

On Sat, 01 Oct 2011 10:36:30 +0100, Danny Colyer wrote:

On 01/10/2011 08:41, PeterC wrote:
[1] I've never managed to find a measured mile but did see in Leeds a sign
"End of Measured Mile". A chap in our group wondered aloud where the start
was - hilarious at first but sensible in that we hadn't seen it.

The Bristol-Bath Railway Path has markings at measured 100m intervals
along the length of the Avon Valley Railway (it also has a measured mile
between the Bitton and Riverside stations), which I used to calibrate my
computer.

That's interesting. I've ridden it a couple of times but just didn't notice
- it's also about 100 miles from here :-(

It's worth bearing in mind that tyre pressure makes a small but
noticeable difference. My old commute used to be measured at 5.37 miles
at 100psi, 5.38 miles at 90psi and 5.39 miles at 80psi. I use my trip
distance for the ride to work to tell me when I need to to my tyres up.

There's a pot hole[1] at a nominal mile from home and that gives me some
idea, although temperature also makes a difference.

[1] Usefully permanent nowadays.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away