Posted to alt.home.repair
The Ghost in The Machine The Ghost in The Machine is offline

Default Bathroom GFI question.Can I tap off of it for a shower hi-hat?

On Sep 28, 11:38*am, "Bill" wrote:
"Mikepier" wrote in message
So in my opinion, it would be ok to protect beyond what the
electrical
code requires and place the light on a GFCI as well, however I like
wire the lighting on separate circuits so you have lighting if an
outlet breaker/GFCI trips. Thus I think it would be better to place
the light on a separate GFCI or a separate GFCI breaker/circuit if
you
must. And of course I would check with your electrical inspector
first
to see if there is any reason he would not allow this.

The shower hi-hat is on a seperate circuit than the vanity light and
2
other hi-hats in the bathroom.So even if the GFI did trip, there
would
still be light in the bathroom.

Then just ask your local electrical inspector and see what he says.
You can usually go into the electrical inspectors office at certain
times and ask questions. Let us know what he says please.

Another thing to consider is if someone else buys your house at a
later time. What if that hi-hat is not working due to the outlet GFCI
being tripped? That could send someone on a wild goose chase trying to
troubleshoot it! (As bathrooms are not typically wired that way, so it
would not be expected.)

The way around that is to leave a note about this special wiring in
the breaker panel. Or to place the hi-hat on a separate breaker which
is a GFCI breaker.

Or to place the outlet and light on the same GFCI breaker and then use
a regular non-GFCI outlet. (No note needed in that case.) Then what
someone would do if the light was not working would be to check the
breaker and/or bulb - Regular troubleshooting procedure.

That is another thing to consider with electrical design and
specifically GFCI's. I see a LOT of posts from people trying to figure
out why an outlet is not working. There might be say 4 outside
outlets, the outlet in the front of the house is not working, and it
is controlled by a GFCI in the back which is tripped. People don't
think to look there! Better would be a GFCI breaker for all outside
outlets. Or for each outlet to be its own GFCI (and source power for
each coming from the regular breaker NOT downstream/load side of other
GFCI's of course...)

If you ask me, they should do away with the GFCI load side connections
entirely! This causes regular homeowners all sorts of trouble. No
problem for electricians who understand this stuff. But most people
are not electricians. And that would not be a safety thing, rather a
"making daily living easier" type of thing...

That's no biggie, just tag the Hi Hat Fixture & Electrical Box with
some of the GFCI Protected Circuit stickers.
Safety need not be understood by everyone, as long as it is effective.
TGITM