Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Sump pump woes

Joe J wrote:
Pre-existing home, Wisconsin basement, poured walls and floor, 6
years old.
Lots of rain the last week or two and the sump pump has been turning
on about every 3 minutes. Last night we had a power failure and the
back-up Generac didn't start and I assumed I'd have water in the
basement, but bone dry.

Here is what I found: The water pours into the crock when it is
below the inlet pipe, but once filled, never rises above it. I guess
from a physics standpoint that makes sense but, where is that water
going if it's not being pumped out? I have no clue about how the
drain tiles etc are laid out.

You can probably raise the level at which the pump turns on and off and save
some power. All it needs to do is keep the water table below the floor. It may
be that natural flows are carrying the water away at somewhat below the floor
level until the rain hits really hard.