Posted to aus.electronics,sci.electronics.repair

Default OT CFLs - retrofitting low ESR capacitors

On Sat, 01 Oct 2011 14:19:29 +1000, keithr
wrote:

Lets face it guys, there is nobody around here, myself included, who has
the mental horsepower to make a serious and realistic contribution to
the body of knowledge about global warming. Mostly it is reiteration of
set views using what ever data that has been provided by others and
which coincides with those set views of the writer. In the end nothing
changes, we still have the same people with the same views.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do
nothing." Edmund Burke (1729-1797)

There's more to global warming than just contributing to the body of
knowledge. There's the feedback, review, and criticism necessary to
validate the original research. There's also a substantial amount of
interpretation necessary to make full use of the body of knowledge.
Just knowing the "facts" is insufficient. One also had to know what
the fact really mean, and to do next.

As for lacking the mental horsepower necessary to contribute, please
note that during this discussion, I added one trivial item to the body
of knowledge by demonstrating how easy it is to tweak trend lines. I
also demonstrated the global warming precedes CO2 rise, using a graph
that was apparently intended to demonstrate the reverse.

I doubt if we'll ever be able to generate a fact based determination
on AGW. There's far too much polarization, politics and emotion
involved. At best, we will have a consensus, based on whichever side
hires the best PR agency, and possibly which future natural disaster
is successfully blamed on AGW. It makes me ill to think about it, but
that's probably the way it will work.

If you find it frustrating, I can sympathize. There is enough
distorted data and odd conclusions being tossed around that it's
difficult to form a supportable opinion. You're welcome to give up
now, and let the rest of us run your future. Various PAC's will
gladly supply you with a prepared sample ballot to save you the effort
of forming an opinion. A horde of elected representatives will gladly
tell you what to do, rather than attempt to represent your position
(especially if you have none). However, methinks the AGW issue is
sufficiently important and potentially expensive, that giving up now
might be a little premature.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D