Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] jw@myplace.com is offline

Default Fallen tree ripped service entrance off building

n Fri, 30 Sep 2011 13:04:07 -0700 (PDT), Evan
wrote:

I would replace the conduit and wiring, the wiring may have been
damaged and could cause a short and fire in the future, espically
since serice entrance cables arent fused.

this may be covered by homeowners insurance, and upgrade to 200 amps
if your service isnt already that

The pipe bent, but did not kink. *The insulator and top pipe strap
were ripped off the building, *the pipe bend both to the right and
outward from the wall at the second (middle) strap. *I dont think the
wires were damaged since there was no kinking. *Actually this service
entrance *IS* fused. *There's a box under the meter on the power pole,
where there are two 200A cartridge fuses (400A Service). From there,
the power goes three ways. *1. the house 2. the barn 3. the garage
(two separate triplex cables to the garage and barn, plus an
underground cable to the house). *Each building has it's own main
breaker. *This is typical wiring on farms. *

As for insurance, the deductible is much more than what it would cost
to just buy new conduit, insulator, etc.... *No sense even turning it
in, because that will just give them a reason to raise my rates.

Another question. *My present conduit is 1 1/2" rigid steel, not
threaded galvanized pipe. *I know that most new construction these
days uses that gray plastic conduit. *I could use that, but what would
happen if a tree fell and I had that plastic stuff? *Seems that there
would have been more damage since that plastic would have shattered.
I'm hesitant to use that as a replacement if I cant get the steel one
straightened, or just buy new steel pipe.

The service head was yanked down suddenly by the force of the tree
falling on it -- the wire must be inspected to make sure the
insulation
is not damaged along its entire length...

The exterior cable could have damaged insulation which would let
water inside the cable and cause issues -- the cabling inside the
conduit could have been pulled hard enough and far enough to
have loose connections to the service panel...

You should have a licensed electrician do the repairs and sign off
on it being properly repaired and functional... You worry about
what it would cost to make an insurance claim now when you
have legitimate storm damages -- just wait until you have a fire
because you skimped on doing the prudent and proper repairs
after your electrical service was damaged by that falling tree --
the insurance company will ask how the conduit got bent, or
why such a short piece near the top was replaced and will
then ask who did the repairs... You might find that your very
expensive future electrical fire might not be covered because
your deductible is too high to properly fix some storm damage
caused by a tree today...

Get better insurance with a lower deductible for property damage
protection...

~~ Evan

You sound like the type who would tear down your house and rebuild
because you got a bad light switch in your kitchen......
I suggest you do!!!