Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Paulsen[_2_] Mike Paulsen[_2_] is offline

Default Consumer Products Safety Commision - New table saw rules on thehorizon. (sawstop, et. al.)

tiredofspam wrote:
(snip)
Patent holders for Saw Stop... well according to you .... they should be
made to give it away...

Look, I can't stand these idiot CEO's who make a fortune for destroying
companies, but this is a guy who made his company, and now employs many
people...

It's his patent, he did everything to offer the technology to companies
for a price (NOT FREE)... Why shouldn't he have made money doing it.

Well, to quote Mr. Gass himself:

Steve says his motivation to get the SawStop out on the U.S. market is
because "I don't want to go to a trade show five years from now and have
some kid come up to me with his mangled hand and ask 'Why didn't you try
harder?"'

That was in Woodworker's Journal, Vol 27, #6, December 2003.

His product is on the market, and anyone who _wants_ to buy it and can
_afford_ to buy it can buy it. If he wants to see it more widely
adopted, he can license it at whatever price it takes to get the amount
of market penetration which will allow him to sleep at night. It's been
8 years and he's still alive, so I can only assume that he's sleeping at
night. He's obviously not overly concerned about the children at this point.