Posted to alt.home.repair
Percival P. Cassidy Percival P. Cassidy is offline

Default NEC question: low-voltage wiring crossing 120v wiring.

On 09/30/11 12:58 pm, DA wrote:

Is it OK for the network cables to lie on the ceiling support members,
and thus beneath the Romex? Or should the network cables be above the
Romex? Or should one or both be in conduit?

Are you concerned with EMI (electromagnetic interference) or fire safety?

My question was about the NEC, which is concerned with fire safety.

For fire safety NEC wants you to stay 6+ inches away from the power cables
and that should also be far enough for EMI to be negligible. That shield
on the network cables is absolutely unnecessary in a residential home, but
since you already go it, do not ground it on either end. I presume you
won't be able to ground it correctly at the outlet end anyhow, so just let
it float. It'll be useless as an EMI shield (which you don't need anyway)
but might prevent some kinking and cinching.

The shield is to eliminate interference to my amateur radio station.
This was a problem with unshielded cables.

However, if you can return the cable, I would strongly advise to do so and
get a smaller diameter UTP - you'll be able to pull more cables through
the same size hole and that will come handy during the install. In a home
made of essentially wooden sticks (often times "engineered wooden sticks")
you don't want to make holes bigger than absolutely necessary.

No holes have to be drilled: the network cables pass over the tops of
the partition walls.

Perce