Posted to alt.home.repair
DA DA is offline

Default NEC question: low-voltage wiring crossing 120v wiring.

responding to
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...ng-664640-.htm
DA wrote:
Is it OK for the network cables to lie on the ceiling support members,
and thus beneath the Romex? Or should the network cables be above the
Romex? Or should one or both be in conduit?

Are you concerned with EMI (electromagnetic interference) or fire safety?

For fire safety NEC wants you to stay 6+ inches away from the power cables
and that should also be far enough for EMI to be negligible. That shield
on the network cables is absolutely unnecessary in a residential home, but
since you already go it, do not ground it on either end. I presume you
won't be able to ground it correctly at the outlet end anyhow, so just let
it float. It'll be useless as an EMI shield (which you don't need anyway)
but might prevent some kinking and cinching.

However, if you can return the cable, I would strongly advise to do so and
get a smaller diameter UTP - you'll be able to pull more cables through
the same size hole and that will come handy during the install. In a home
made of essentially wooden sticks (often times "engineered wooden sticks")
you don't want to make holes bigger than absolutely necessary.

It may be a moot point in a wooden home, but I would always locate low
voltage cables below high voltage power. If cables are the cause of the
fire, it would always be the power ones, not low-voltage, and the fire
would want to go up. The less burning material above it the better. But
again, would probably make little difference if everything around is wood.

Good luck!

/\_/\
((@v@)) NIGHT
()::) OWL