Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Looking to valuate residential propane tank

On Sep 29, 7:04*pm, gwandsh wrote:
On Sep 28, 8:10*am, George wrote:

On 9/28/2011 4:35 AM, Jerry Ohio Also wrote:

I'm in the process of doing a tank switch. My tank is a 500& *they came
to paint it because it is rusty . Near one leg the rust has made the
tank thin. We decided to go to a 350 . The tank has to be down to 5
percent before they can move it By law In Ohio. Some one mentioned about
a float BS *You can only have a pressure gauge on propane !

Jr.

Float gauges are pretty common. Maybe you are thinking of something else?

http://www.propane101.com/floatgauge.htm

Thanks to all who responded. *As the OP, I had hoped that I might be
able to offer it to a neighbor who lost his home recently and has to
rebuild. *Sounds like it might be more hassle and cost for him to get
it moved than I expected. And certainly I don't want to try moving it
without knowing exactly what I am doing.

I will check with the local propane company to see if they have a
price on the tank and contents. *I have some reservations about doing
this, as they are the only game in town, and are reputed to be
marginally shady. *I expect they will try to tell me it is worthless,
or charge me to remove the fuel and tank. *In that case, I would try
to keep it as a filler for my grill tank - likely it would last for
years. *If I do try to use it as a source for filling small tanks, can
I purchase the hose and valve to adapt it to this use? *I had always
thought they were restricted to licensed commercial outlets? *This
would be in WA state.

Tnx again

It's not really possible to transfer much of the propane to a smaller
tank without a pump. You'd be better off getting a piece of soft
copper tubing or the newer flexible gas line to connect your tank to
your grill. How far from your tank to your grill?

Most of the propane in your tank is a liquid. As you draw off gas
propane some of the liquid propane turns to gas to replace it. If you
pay attention at a propane filling station they have an electric pump
that draws from the bottom of their tank.