Posted to alt.home.repair
Bud-- Bud-- is offline

Default Bathroom GFI question.Can I tap off of it for a shower hi-hat?

On 9/30/2011 6:19 AM, John Grabowski wrote:
Can someone decipher what all this means? Am I allowed to do this or
not?

No. Lighting outlets must be on a separate circuit from receptacle
outlets
in the bathroom.

You better hear that from your l.ocal AHJ because most think
210.11(C)(3) exception applies. I have heard it in dozens of code
classes and virtually everywhere it was discussed online.
As long as it only serves one bathroom the 20a circuits can serve all
the loads in that bathroom. This idea that 210.11(C)(3) exception is
not also an exception to 210.23(A) exception has only come up here in
my experience.

The language in 210.11(C)(3) exception is very specific

"Exception: Where the 20-ampere circuit supplies a single bathroom,
outlets for other equipment within the same bathroom shall be
permitted to be supplied in accordance with 210.23(A)(1) and (A)(2)."

*It seems to be common knowledge around here as well. They should
clarify
receptacle outlets and lighting outlets. Looking at the definition of
"Equipment", it does specify luminares. One of these exceptions has
to go!

I haven't looked at the ROP but I bet NFPA will say 210.23(A) ex
references 210.11 A requirements so that 210.11 exception alters the
language in 210.23(A)ex.

I think was an 'unanticipated consequence' and nobody saw the
conflict. Nice catch John.

*I'm wondering how many inspectors have picked up on this conflict?

gfretwell seems pretty well connected to the inspector mafia... er..
community. If inspectors had found it there would have been a code change.

You may become famous.

--
bud--