Posted to alt.home.repair
Bill[_9_] Bill[_9_] is offline

Default Fallen tree ripped service entrance off building

wrote in message
We just had hurricane force winds and a tree fell over and it ripped
down the overhead wires to my barn. This is after my electric meter
so I am responsible, the electric company only repairs BEFORE the
meter. The insulator broke and the top half of the 1 1/2" service
entrance pipe was ripped off the barn and bent way over. We spent
most of the night cutting up the tree and freed the wire. Not able
get parts, I hooked the cable up to the metal bracket that remains
of
the insulator using a piece of chain hooked to the end loop piece on
the triplex that normally goes around the insulator. With a friend,
we tried to bend that steel conduit straight, but it's near
impossible
by hand. We got it a little straighter, but not very good.

Is there any way to straighten that conduit? I'd rather not have to
replace it. I should mention that the power did not go out and no
wires were broke or separated. It just destroyed the insulator and
bent that entrance pipe. I'd like to just replace the insulator and
bend that pipe straight again. The insulator is easy to replace,
but
getting that pipe back straight seems to be a big problem. No, I do
not have a pipe bender for 1 1/2". Just for 1/2" and 3/4".

Thanks

Do it right or not at all. Replace the conduit and the wires.