Posted to alt.home.repair

Default condensation under the house

On Sep 29, 4:28*pm, "badgolferman"
wrote:
jamesgangnc, 9/29/2011,3:29:15 PM, wrote:
On Sep 29, 8:24 am, "badgolferman"
wrote:
jamesgangnc wrote:
On Sep 28, 8:58 pm, "badgolferman"

The company tells me what I need is a crawlspace dehumidifier.
They put down new moisture barrier, seal the vents, install a
GFC
line, dehumidifier and pump all for $3000. That does not count
spraying for the wood destroying fungus. The dehumidifier is
supposed to dry out the area so much that all the mold will go
dormant.- Hide quoted text -

Does the moisture barrier include running it up the inside
foundation walls to the sill plate? That's the premium barrier
and it is a good bit of work to do that. Just laying out new
pieces of plastic is not much work and a $100 or so fo rthe
plastic. Ask for the brand/model number of the dehumidifier.
The price of dehumidifiers varys greatly depedning on what you
are getting. Heavy duty commercial ones can be over a grand. So
you need more details to judge the value of their package.

1. Treat wooden members with fungicide to killl any active fungi.
2. Sealing all Foundation Vents
3. Installing Poly Vapor Barrier (100% ground coverage)
4. Placing a Dehumidifier in the crawl space
http://www.thermastor.com/Santa-Fe-Advance/-Hide quoted text -

That's a pretty expensive dehumidifier so depending on what exactly
they do for he vapor barrier install $3k might not be outlandish. *Get
some more details on how they do the vapor barrier.

It seems this option is out. *I live in a flood zone and cannot seal my
vents. *I will have to look at grading problems and how moisture can be
minimized. *Time for someone else to look at the problem.- Hide quoted text -

How does living in a flood zone prevent you from sealing your vents?
Have you had a flood that entered your crawl? You can do what ever
you want. If you have a flood it may change the post flood
remediation.