Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Firewood questions, chainsaw comments

On Sep 29, 10:36*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
Today me and two friends went to cut about three cords of wood. *I brought a
Husky 345, they brought Stihls. *One was a 442 with a 25" bar. *We needed it
a couple of times. *My Husky started easier than their Stihls, but I suspect
that with a little fiddling with the jets, we could have ironed that out.
We were at 10,425' elev. *One of the Stihl owners said they would buy Husky
next. *They both had three each.

We cut mostly rounds 16-18" long. *We brought them back to my house to
split.

We were considering going back up there in the summer, and making it a two
day event with a campout. *We want to bring a splitter, and an ATV to skid
the logs to a central point.

We were discussing how efficient it is to split wood right at the spot where
you fell it. *And how it stacks up comparatively in a rack. *Say, take
enough rounds to fill up a 4x4x8 frame, then split it and see if the stack
is higher or lower. *We all agreed that it would be nice to leave all the
mess in the woods, and that it would be somewhat less handling doing it that
way.

What are the facts?

Steve

I can see the camping part making it a bit more fun. Leaviing the
residue at location appeals as well.