Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default 120V to 240V conversion

" wrote:

On Sep 29, 8:15 am, "Phil Allison" wrote:
** Hi

Customer brought in a Peavey CS800x4 four channel power amp he picked up in
eBay in near new condition. Unfortunately he forgot about the AC supply
voltage difference in the USA and the model is not dual voltage.

Very luckily, the amp uses two identical 120V toroidal transformers - one
for each pair of channels.

Soooo, I realised it was possible to connect the two primaries in series and
parallel the main secondaries to ensure the primary voltages always stay
equal.

While running the amp on my variac at 120 V, I checked the secondary AC
voltages were identical to within a few mV.

Took me only minutes to do to the needed rewiring and it works like a charm.

A bonus is there is now 20% to 30% more power available on a one or two
channel basis.

... Phil

Sneaky but smart!

If the loads are equal. If not, the regulation will be crap.