Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Consumer Products Safety Commision - New table saw rules on the horizon. (sawstop, et. al.)

On 30 Sep 2011 00:43:53 GMT, Han wrote:

" wrote in
:

On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 18:53:15 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 9/29/2011 6:42 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 18:30:20 -0500, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:

All those inventions and new-fangled stuff that have been
legislated down our throats - seatbelts, intermittant wipers,
airbags. And forget about houses! CO and smoke detectors,
standardized stair dimensions, GFIs and AFCIs - hell, the whole
electrical panel requirement is a government-let plot to separate
people from their liberties!

There was no government mandated monopoly for any of those.

I wonder how many prospective woodworkers will abandon the hobby
when they find their first tablesaw is going to cost them
$1500-$3000?

Zero, zip, nada. No no one will abandon the hobby. How many people
quit buying houses when grounded wiring was required. How many people
quit buying cars when air bags were required. If you have to abandon
a hobby because a piece of equipment doubles in price your financial
prioritizes should be reconsidered.

I certainly wouldn't have bought a $3500 table saw. ...at least for a
long time. There were alternatives, though. In the doomsday scenario
there would be none.

The language in any bill can't specify the brand of saw, nor the exact
mechanism by which injuries are to be prevented. Seems to me that the
whirlwind is an inferior, but viable alternative
http://www.whirlwindtool.com/.

Wow! Do you have faith in government, or what?! If they're going to
regulate...

So is a well-designed circular saw and
support system (regular circular saw, Festool system, or other
plungesaw). It's all what you want to or can spend.

....and they're not going to force a SawStop mechanism on circular saws? It's
for the children!