Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Consumer Products Safety Commision - New table saw rules on the horizon. (sawstop, et. al.)

On 29 Sep 2011 16:52:38 GMT, Han wrote:

" wrote in
news
On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 10:24:04 -0600, Just Wondering
wrote:

On 9/29/2011 7:28 AM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 23:17:45 -0500, Mike
wrote:

advance notice of proposed rulemaking for performance requirements
to address table saw blade contact injuries.

September 14, 2011

http://www.cpsc.gov/LIBRARY/FOIA/FOI...f/tablesaw.pdf

"A. Background
On April 15, 2003, Stephen Gass, David Fanning, and James Fulmer,
et al. (“petitioners”) requested that we require performance
standards for a system to reduce or prevent injuries from contact
with the blade of a table saw."

I wonder how much Stephed Gass (SawStop's inventor, BTW) has
contributed to Obama's re-election campaign.

I realize that table saws are inherently dangerous. But I wonder how
many injuries (needing something more than a band-aid) there actually
are per man-hour of use. Is this an area where the country really
needs government control?

FWIG, it's not infinitesimal, but you're right. It's none of
government's damned business.

They require ground fault interruptors, really good grounding and a host
of other safety-related things. Why not this? I agree, it looks like it
should be personal option, but I'd like to get a discount on my medical
insurance for having a sawstop ... (Which I don't have (yet))

The federal government does no such thing! If you find an insurance carrier
that gives a discount for a SawStop, or for that matter a flat roof, who
cares?! Your choice and theirs.

I wouldn't buy a SawStop!
didn't