Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Consumer Products Safety Commision - New table saw rules on the horizon. (sawstop, et. al.)

On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 10:24:04 -0600, Just Wondering wrote:

On 9/29/2011 7:28 AM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 23:17:45 -0500, Mike wrote:

advance notice of proposed rulemaking for performance requirements to
address table saw blade contact injuries.

September 14, 2011

http://www.cpsc.gov/LIBRARY/FOIA/FOI...f/tablesaw.pdf

"A. Background
On April 15, 2003, Stephen Gass, David Fanning, and James Fulmer, et al.
(“petitioners”) requested that we require performance standards for a system
to reduce or prevent injuries from contact with the blade of a table saw."

I wonder how much Stephed Gass (SawStop's inventor, BTW) has contributed to
Obama's re-election campaign.

I realize that table saws are inherently dangerous. But I wonder how
many injuries (needing something more than a band-aid) there actually
are per man-hour of use. Is this an area where the country really needs
government control?

FWIG, it's not infinitesimal, but you're right. It's none of government's
damned business.