Posted to alt.home.repair

Default TV wall mounting

On Sep 29, 6:03*am, Jim wrote:
My sister has ask me install a TV wall mount unit (Sanus F215).
Instructions are pretty straightforward. *Problem is where she
wants it.

That center of the wall location is wallboard only. *To support
the weight screws must enter a stud.

Fortunately behind that wall is a utility closet. *I'm thinking to
create a block of 2x4's to fill the gap between the studs.
Possibly cap it off with plywood to further insure the screws
coming in didn't merely fill space between the 2x4's. *(the wall
bracket screw holes all align vertically)

Might someone offer a better alternative?

The simplest solution isto move it a bit. You are within 8" of a
stud.

Otherwise most run a piece or two of 2x4 horizontally between two
studs. Of course that requires you to rip open the wall board.

You could also span the studs behind the tv with a piece of 3/4"
plywood on top of the wall board. Just cut it about a foot wide and
long enough to span two studs, should be 16" or so. The tv will cover
it unless it's a really small tv. If you paint it the same color as
the wall no one will notice.