Posted to alt.home.repair
benick[_2_] benick[_2_] is offline

Default Protecting garage floor from salt dripping off car and follow up for earlier question..

"Evan" wrote in message
On Sep 27, 10:19 pm, "benick" wrote:
"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

"benick" wrote in message
Not interested in nor can I afford the garage floor coatings that's all
the rage...Just trying to come up with something simple to put under
the
car this winter to protect the concrete from salt...The concrete is
crumbling a bit where the tires sit...The garage is about 5 years old
if
that matters...Poly would be to slick..A chunk of Astr-Turf or similar
??
Thanks for any help...Sorry for bringing up winter so early but it
comes
quick here in Maine...LOL..

Even plain old floor paint would give some protection.

As a side note I asked months ago about replacing an ancient 1960's
burner in an American Standard boiler..Believe it or not it was STILL
running but I couldn't get parts for it anymore...The old one sat on a
lip and I asked about drilling holes and mounting a new Beckett
Burner...Well , did that the other day..Took the front panel off and
marked and drilled holes and J B Welded some bolts on the inside
threads
poking out ..Used the JB Weld to keep the bolts in place...Gave it a
GOOD
cleaning and put the front panel back on...Slid the new burner with
gasket on , put the nuts on and tighened them , connected it up , hit
the
switch and presto , runs like a charm....Thanks for the advice....What
GREAT feeling to do something yourself...Not to mention the $$$$$
saved...

Get back to us next spring. I'm curious as to how much more efficient
the
new burner is. Anyone with old equipment can usually save a bundle on
fuel cost by upgrading.

I await your check for 5 grand for a new system...Thanks...LOL...It
doesn't
run as long to bring up the temp in the boiler now..That I do
know.....When
I can AFFORD to replace it I will...Not an option now...Considering we
only
use about 400 gallons a year for heat and hot water in our little ranch
the
pay back would be long after I'm gone at my age...I have replaced all the
windows , doors and added insulation to the attic over the past few years
as
we could afford it and that has helped ALOT...We used to use around 500
gallons...Also looking for a used pellet stove if I could get one for the
right price...New ones are still to much for us at this time...

Investing money in repairs/improvements to the building envelope are
often a batter way to spend money than running out and having a new
heating system installed...

With modern efficient boilers you can get away with a smaller system
if you improve your building's heat loss characteristics...

~~ Evan

My thoughts exactly and I can do it ALL muself...